About the Collection
Of the three best known post World War II modernists of the Architecture Faculty of Penn State, Ken Heidrich is undoubtedly the least well known, at least by name. Indirectly his work is known by thousands of locals as one of the members of the design group for the beautiful, contemporary high school buildings on Westerly Parkway.
“The Three H’s,” as they were once known by architecture students, were A. William Hajjar, Philip F. Hallock, and Kenneth J. Heidrich**. They all left their marks on the area with many beautifully designed homes as well as schools and commercial works. Additionally, a number of their students remained in the area and added their own inspired works to the community.
A print version of this exhibit is also available: call number: NA7239.H45A4 2008 Q
Higher resolution files for most of the images in this exhibit can be found in the Central Pennsylvania Architecture and Landscape Architecture image collection.
** for more information on the other H’s, see “Hajjar Heritage : a Centre Region Treasure” (print version: call number: NA735.S73M35 2004 v.1-3 Q) as well as “Hallock's (mostly) Hidden Houses : Buildings in the Centre Region” (print version: call number: NA7239.H35A4 2006 Q) both by Robert E. Malcolm.
Copyright 2008 by Robert E. Malcom
(Permission is grated to reproduce copies for individual use, not for resale)
Centre County Historical Society
1001 East College Avenue
State College, PA 16801