About the Collection
Architect Phil Hallock has likely had the largest impact on the State College landscape of any designer. Being fairly modest, he has not tooted his own horn to become widely known, although he has about sixty completed residential and commercial structures in the area.
“The Three H’s,” as they were once known by architecture students, were A. William Hajjar, Philip F. Hallock, and Kenneth J. Heidrich**. They all left their marks on the area with many beautifully designed homes as well as schools and commercial works. Additionally, a number of their students remained in the area and added their own inspired works to the community.
A print version of this exhibit is also available: call number: NA7239.H35A4 2006 Q
Higher resolution files for most of the images in this exhibit can be found in the Central Pennsylvania Architecture and Landscape Architecture image collection.
** for more information on the other H’s, see “Hajjar Heritage : a Centre Region Treasure” (print version: call number: NA735.S73M35 2004 v.1-3 Q) as well as “Heidrich: The Quiet "H"” (print version: call number: NA7239.H45A4 2008 Q) both by Robert E. Malcolm.
Text and color photos: Robert E. Malcom (unless otherwise noted)
Drawings and black & white photos: Philip F. Hallock (unless otherwise noted)
All rights reserved
This online exhibit recreates the following:
"State College Artistry and Architecture: The Designs of Phil Hallock"
displayed at the State College Municipal Building & Centre Furnace Mansion
September 10, 2006 - January 7, 2007
Presented by the Centre County Historical Society and the Middle Pennsylvania Chapter, American Institute of Architects
Mansion exhibit by Angela Breeden
Centre County Historical Society
1001 East College Avenue
State College, PA 16801