About the Collection
This collection attempts to document the publications of the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences in an easy-to-search format. The documents here are scanned versions of the documents from archives, our library, personal collections, and college records, arranged by series.
- Bulletins: The Bulletins present accounts of original research and frequently are not limited to the presentation of the results of a single research project, but may contain a number of research papers on related topics. They were issued by the Mineral Industries Experiment Station from 1922 to 1974.
- Circulars: Mineral Industires Experiment Station Circulars present reviews of research in progress, reports of scientific information presented at technical meetings, and other matters of interest concerning the E&MS College. These were issued from 1929 to 1970.
- Technical Papers: These consist of copies of papers published in scientific journals that were distributed by the Mineral Industries Experiment Station. These were issued from 1932 to 1953.
- Contributions: Similar to the technical papers series, this series consisted of reprints of articles published primarily in the 1940s. The Contributions series from the Department of Geology are listed on the Miscellaneous page.
- Special Publications: These are generally publications of large tables of data or other information of interest which originates at the Experiment Station. (TN24.P4P45)
- Office of Naval Research Technical Reports: These reports were part of contracts from 1948-1957.
- Coal Research Section Technical Papers: These preliminary reports of research were published from 1957-1972. The individual contract reports within each Working and Interim report are very identical in content, with the former series containing financial information about the contract. Upon completion of the research, results were published in the Special Research report series.
- Coal Research Board Special Research Reports: These were largely prepared for the Pennsylvania Coal Research Board. They were issued from 1957 - 1993. (TP325.P45)
- Coal Research Section Technical Reports: Reports proposed under contract to the United States Department of Energy from 1975 - 1980. (TN800.P45)
- Progress Reports: The Mineral Industries Experiment Station performed some joint research with others in the oil industry in the 1930s through 50s related to oil recovery. Their findings were recorded in these project reports, and the J-2 reports included the proceedings of the annual technical meetings of the Bradford District Research Group.
- Miscellaneous: Books, newsletters and other publications
- Dissertations, Theses, and Papers: This collection contains known theses and dissertations from Penn State University, College of Earth and Mineral Sciences from c. 1900 to c. 2010.