Browse the Collection
About the Collection
These digital surrogates consist of a commemorative World War II era scrapbook created by George Hoenshel Fleming Sr., General Manager and Chief Engineer of the Pressed Steel Car Company of McKeesport, Pennsylvania. The keepsake scrapbook documents a patriotic civic event held on March 23, 1943 celebrating the company and its employees for receipt of the distinguished Army-Navy “E” Production Award. During World War II, the Pressed Steel Car Company mobilized and converted from peace time production to manufacture tanks and bomb shell casings for the war effort. Documentation includes: photographs, an event program, two promotional broadsides, event ribbons, and letters of invitation to corporate dignitaries and legislators.
This digital collection forms a part of the "Beneath the Surface and Cast in Steel: Forging the American Industrial Union Movement Digital Project" funded by the Council on Library and Information Resources.
- Amalgamated Association of Iron, Steel, and Tin Workers of North America records
- John Chorey papers
- Howard Truman Curtiss Papers
- George Hoenshel Fleming Sr. family papers
- George Medrick Papers
- Philip Murray papers
- Harold Rasmussen scrapbooks, badges, and buttons
- United Mine Workers of America photographic, graphic, and artifacts collection
- United Mine Workers of America, President's Office Correspondence
- United Steelworkers of America District 33 records