Login to My Library Account to see renewals, checkouts, holds, overdue items and fines.
How to borrow
- Items at any Penn State campus --> Click "I want it" on the items you find in the CAT or LionSearch
- Items not owned by Penn State --> Click "Request" on the items you find in LionSearch or use Interlibrary Loan
- Laptops and equipment --> Technology & Equipment
- Penn State World Campus students --> World Campus & Distance Researchers
How long can I borrow?
|Students, faculty and staff||Penn State alumni and visitors|
|Books||1 semester||4 weeks|
|DVDs||7 days||7 days|
|Item||Fine/Maximum||Cost after Deadline|
|Course Reserves||$1/hour, $100 max.||After 10 days: item cost + $100 + $25*|
|DVDs||$1/day, $30 max.||After 30 days: item cost + $30 + $25*|
|Special Loans||$3/day, $15 max.||After 30 days: item cost + $15 + $25*|
|Recall||$3/day, $30 max.||After 30 days: item cost + $30 + $25*|
*$25 processing fee
Questions about My Library Account
"I've already returned this item - why did I receive an overdue notice?"
First, check the date and time that the notice was sent. It's possible that the notice was sent before you returned the item. You can also check your current list of checkouts at My Library Account. If the item does not appear on that list, it has already been removed from your account.
If you believe that you received an overdue or bill notice for an item that you've returned, complete the online Claim Returned Form to initiate a library staff search.
"I have a question about a bill."
Questions about library bills can be referred to your local Penn State library or submitted through our Bill Question Form. Please be sure to supply as much information as possible.
"Why was my item recalled?"
The University Libraries provides the option to recall materials to allow all of our patrons access to library materials within a reasonable amount of time. You will have at least 10 days from the date you receive the recall notice to return the item without fee.
"Why was my hold expired?"
You will receive a notice that your hold has expired if the library cannot supply a copy of the item on which you placed an "I Want It" hold in the CAT. Holds may expire because items are missing from library shelves or are requested by instructors for course reserve. You can try the following to find another copy:
- Request the item through Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad), E-ZBorrow or U-Borrow (Penn State students, faculty and staff only).
- Check the CAT again and place another hold if another copy is available. We may purchase additional copies of high demand materials, or items that were missing may have been found.
- Try your local public library
Automated Check-Out Stations
If you wish to skip the line at the Lending Services desk or just want to check out your own books, you may do so at the automated checkout stations located around the Pattee and Paterno Library.
- Central Pattee Library
- 1st floor in the main lobby across from the Lending Services desk
- Paterno Library
- 1st Floor
- Social Sciences Library (2nd floor)
- Business Library (3rd floor)
- Life Sciences Library (4th floor)
- Educational & Behavioral Sciences Library (5th floor)
When using these machines, please make sure to keep your receipt and slide both sides of the book across the scanner in order to properly check out the materials.