- Items at any Penn State campus --> Click "I want it" on the items you find in the catalog or LionSearch
- Items not owned by Penn State --> Click "Request" on the items you find in LionSearch or use Interlibrary Loan
- Laptops and equipment --> Technology & Equipment
- Penn State World Campus students --> World Campus & Distance Researchers
- University Park faculty and staff --> Office Delivery Service
|Item||Students, faculty and staff||Penn State alumni and visitors|
|Books||1 semester||4 weeks|
|DVDs||7 days||7 days|
|E-ZBorrow (currently suspended)||12 weeks||N/A|
|Item||Fine/Maximum||Cost after Deadline|
|Course Reserves||$2/hour, $100 max.||After 10 days: item cost + $100 + $25*|
|DVDs||$1/day, $30 max.||After 30 days: item cost + $30 + $25*|
|Special Loans||$3/day, $15 max.||After 30 days: item cost + $15 + $25*|
*$25 processing fee
"I've already returned this item - why did I receive an overdue notice?"
First, check the date and time that the notice was sent. It's possible that the notice was sent before you returned the item. You can also check your current list of checkouts at My Library Account. If the item does not appear on that list, it has already been removed from your account.
If you believe that you received an overdue or bill notice for an item that you've returned, complete the online Claim Returned Form to initiate a library staff search. The Claim Returned Form is temporarily unavailable when the libraries are closed and staff are unable to search for materials. We will restore this form when the libraries resume normal operations.
"I have a question about a bill."
Questions about library bills can be referred to your local Penn State library or submitted through our Bill Question Form. Please be sure to supply as much information as possible.
Why did my hold fail?
A "Hold(s) Failed" message may appear after clicking "I Want It" if no copy of an item is currently available for loan. Try placing an interlibrary loan request (Illiad) or contact us for more information.
"Why was my hold expired?"
You will receive a notice that your hold has expired if the library cannot supply a copy of the item on which you placed an "I Want It" hold in the CAT. Holds may expire because items are missing from library shelves or are requested by instructors for course reserve. You can try the following to find another copy:
- Request the item through Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad), E-ZBorrow (currently suspended) or U-Borrow (Penn State students, faculty and staff only).
- Check the CAT again and place another hold if another copy is available. We may purchase additional copies of high demand materials, or items that were missing may have been found.
- Try your local public library