Most electronic Course Reserves (E-Reserves) are provided as PDF files. These files are best viewed and printed using Adobe Acrobat Reader. To download this free desktop software, go to the following page: Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Download.
When you use a web browser to access online PDF files, the documents will typically open in a new browser tab running a PDF plug-in such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader plug-in. However, different web browsers have different default settings, and many browsers now have a native PDF plug-in that replaces the Reader plug-in. For more information about using the Reader plug-in, see the following Adobe help articles: Display PDF in Browser and Troubleshoot Viewing PDF Files on the Web.
Browser plug-ins, including the Reader plug-in, have fewer features than the Reader desktop software. If you want to use the Reader desktop software to view and print a PDF file, first download the PDF file to your computer's desktop. Then open the document in Reader.
To view your E-Reserves, do the following:
- Enter your Canvas course section.
- Go to the Library Resources tab in the course navigation menu.
- Select the E-Reserves link.
- You will see a list of E-Reserves listed alphabetically by title. Select the appropriate title and URL to open the E-Reserve.
- The E-Reserve will typically open in a new browser tab running a PDF plug-in. Use the toolbar to page through the document and zoom in or out.
- If desired, use the toolbar to save the PDF file to your computer's desktop. In the future, you will be able to open the document from your desktop, even when you are offline.
If you do not see your E-Reserves under the Library Resources tab in Canvas, check the full list of E-Reserves organized by course at the PSU Libraries website. If you continue to experience problems, send an e-mail to UL-RESERVESHELP@LISTS.PSU.EDU.
To print your E-Reserves, do the following:
- Open the desired E-Reserve as described in the Viewing E-Reserves section above.
- Select the Print button in the toolbar.
- In the Print window, select the option to scale to fit the page width.
- Select the Print button.
- You may also see an E-Books folder under the Library Resources tab in Canvas. E-Books function in a similar way as other E-Reserves, but some E-Books cannot be downloaded.
- The E-Reserve PDF files that are produced by the Course Reserves staff always start with a Copyright Warning/Citation page. The reading starts on the second page.