We want YOU!
The University Libraries’ scholarships provide financial assistance to undergraduates. While some scholarships are geared towards those with an interest in library science, we also award scholarships to those in a wide range of disciplines including: liberal arts and information technology.
Awards start at $500. Most scholarships are renewable for the next academic year if the student continues to meet the eligibility requirements.
How to Apply
- All applicants must have a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with the Office of Student Aid.
- All submissions require the completion of an online application form and a letter of application from the student plus one letter of recommendation.
- All applications and letters of recommendation must be submitted no later than the last day of classes for the spring semester, Friday April 28, 2017.
- Complete the online application form
- NOTE: You will be asked to paste your letter of application into this form, and to provide the name of the person writing your letter of recommendation.
- Letters of recommendation should be emailed to Wendi Keeler (firstname.lastname@example.org) or sent to:
Dean of University Libraries and Scholarly Communications
The Pennsylvania State University
510 Paterno Library
University Park, PA 16802
You may apply for more than one scholarship at the same time.
Adma Hammam Shibley Memorial Scholarship in Library Science
- Primary consideration: for undergraduate students who are interested in pursuing a career in Library and Information Science
- Secondary consideration, if no one meets the above criteria: any undergraduate student currently enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts
Ava Faltz-Miller Memorial Scholarship
- Full-time junior students who have a demonstrated interest in library studies, information sciences and/or librarianship
Cynthia M. Joyce Trustee Scholarship
- First priority given to any student demonstrating financial need and who benefits from the services of the University Libraries.
Irene Cheng Memorial Award
- Full-time undergraduate students who are enrolled at any Penn State campus, including Penn College
- Must be a child of a MediaTech employee or an undergraduate student who has been employed by MediaTech for at least one year and currently works a minimum of 10 hours per week
- Must have cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Application letter must include information about the parent’s employment at MediaTech or the student’s own MediaTech employment giving examples leadership, humanitarian, and academic merits
Martha Conner Memorial Award
- Undergraduate students who may be interested in enrolling in an accredited graduate school for Library and Information Science
- Must have demonstrated need
- Maintain a satisfactory undergraduate academic record
Mayo-Alessandri-Esther Family Undergraduate Scholarship in the University Libraries
- Consideration for this scholarship shall be given to undergraduate students enrolled or planning to enroll in Penn State who have a demonstrated financial need to meet necessary expenses.
- From this eligible group, first preference shall be given to students who have been placed in foster care.
- Student must be in good academic standing.
James E. Wright, Jr. Memorial Endowment in the Life Sciences Library
- Eligible undergraduate students will work with the staff in the Life Sciences Library.
- First preference given to students who are majoring in genetics or a related field.
- Second preference given to students interested in pursuing a post-graduate Library Science degree
- Third preference given to students from the College of Science
- This is a grant-in aid position.
- For more information, contact the Life Science Library at 814-865-7056 or Amy Paster at email@example.com
Bednar Undergraduate Internship
- Internships available in various areas of the University Libraries.
- Only full-time juniors and seniors ‘exhibiting academic excellence’ are eligible.
- See University Libraries Jobs page for updated information.
- This is a paid internship.
- For more information, contact Wendi Keeler at 814-863-5449 or firstname.lastname@example.org