Do you use the University Libraries? Do you struggle to pay for your college education? Are you interested in pursuing a career in Library and/or Information Sciences? Do you have good grades? Are you in the College of Liberal Arts? Were you in foster care at any point in your life? Do you work in Media Tech or have a parent who does?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, you may be eligible for a Library scholarship.
The University Libraries’ scholarships provide financial assistance to undergraduates. While some scholarships are geared toward those with an interest in library science, we also award scholarships to those in a wide range of disciplines including: liberal arts and information technology.
Most scholarships are renewable for the next academic year if the student continues to meet the eligibility requirements. Unless otherwise specified, scholarships require students to demonstrate satisfactory academic performance (GPA of 2.0 or higher).
How to Apply
- All applicants must have a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with the Office of Student Aid.
- All submissions require the completion of an online application form and a letter of application from the student plus one letter of recommendation.
- All applications and letters of recommendation must be submitted (new date will be available when determined).
- Complete either the PDF OR the Word version of the application form:
- Submit the form along with the letter of application (written by you) to Wendi Keeler (email@example.com) or mail to Wendi Keeler:
Library Administration Dean's Office
The Pennsylvania State University
510 Paterno Library
University Park, PA 16802
- Follow up with the person writing your letter of recommendation. Be sure he/she emails it to Wendi Keeler at firstname.lastname@example.org or mails to the above address by the April 27, 2018 deadline.
You may apply for more than one scholarship at the same time.
Adma Hammam Shibley Memorial Scholarship in Library Science
- Primary consideration: for undergraduate students who are interested in pursuing a career in Library and Information Science
- Secondary consideration, if no one meets the above criteria: any undergraduate student currently enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts
Ava Faltz-Miller Memorial Scholarship
- Full-time junior students who have a demonstrated interest in library studies, information sciences and/or librarianship
Cynthia M. Joyce Trustee Scholarship
- First priority given to any student demonstrating financial need and who benefits from the services of the University Libraries.
Irene Cheng Memorial Award
- Full-time undergraduate students who are enrolled at any Penn State campus, including Penn College
- Must be a child of a MediaTech employee or an undergraduate student who has been employed by MediaTech for at least one year and currently works a minimum of 10 hours per week
- Must have cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Application letter must include information about the parent’s employment at MediaTech or the student’s own MediaTech employment giving examples leadership, humanitarian, and academic merits
Martha Conner Memorial Award
- Undergraduate students who may be interested in enrolling in an accredited graduate school for Library and Information Science
- Must have demonstrated need
- Maintain a satisfactory undergraduate academic record (GPA of 2.0 or higher)
Student must be in good academic standing.
Mayo-Alessandri-Esther Family Undergraduate Scholarship in the University Libraries
- Consideration for this scholarship shall be given to undergraduate students enrolled or planning to enroll in Penn State who have a demonstrated financial need to meet necessary expenses
- From this eligible group, first preference shall be given to students who have been placed in foster care
- Student must be in good academic standing (GPA of 2.0 or higher)
James E. Wright, Jr. Memorial Endowment in the Life Sciences Library
- Eligible undergraduate students will work with the staff in the Life Sciences Library.
- First preference given to students who are majoring in genetics or a related field.
- Second preference given to students interested in pursuing a post-graduate Library Science degree
- Third preference given to students from the College of Science
- This is a grant-in aid position.
- For more information, contact the Life Science Library at 814-865-7056 or Amy Paster at email@example.com
Bednar Undergraduate Internship
- Internships available in various areas of the University Libraries.
- Only full-time juniors and seniors ‘exhibiting academic excellence’ are eligible.
- See University Libraries Jobs page for updated information.
- This is a paid internship.
- For more information, contact Wendi Keeler at 814-863-5449 or firstname.lastname@example.org