Access to Online Resources
The University Libraries offers a rich collection of online resources including streaming video, electronic books, databases and electronic journals:
- E-books and Other Course Materials - Resources for Students and Instructors & Designers
- HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS)
- Temporary and Expanded Access to Vendor and Publisher Resources: JSTOR (Expanded access provided through December 31, 2020.)
- Asian Studies Library Guide: Temporary Access to Databases (China Studies)
- Find Books, Articles and More
- Databases for your research
- Digital collections
- Library Guides for courses, subjects, and research basics
- EBSCO Faculty Select: This tool helps faculty identify OER or request a purchase of DRM-free content to be used in courses. Contact Bryan McGeary (firstname.lastname@example.org) to receive a separate link for full access to the Faculty Select Portal.
If a resource is not available as a full-text version online, Penn State students, faculty, and staff can suggest a purchase or place a request to our Interlibrary Loan (ILL). We will update you about our ability to provide this to you via email. If you have trouble accessing any online resources, please review these common Library Authentication Problems or Ask!
Ask a Librarian & Consultations
Ask a Librarian
If you have questions about using our online resources, just Ask! You can email or chat with a librarian at any time. The chat service is staffed by Penn State Librarians and staff and will be available:
- Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
We are happy to provide remote research consultations via phone or online. Please use the Research Consultation Request form to schedule an appointment. Please also note that our Ask a Librarian team has started a COVID-19 FAQ document to assist users.
Watch the Ask a Librarian video for guidance on using this service.
Subject experts are available to Penn State students and instructors for one-on-one consultations online. Please schedule an online consultation via email. Instructors can also arrange for a librarian to provide remote instruction for their courses.
Library staff are also able provide virtual consultations for statistical methods, quantitative research, data visualization, geospatial analysis and more. Please email us at L-DATA-MGMT@lists.psu.edu to schedule a consultation.
Watch the Subject Experts video for more information about finding your expert.
Search Bar Services, a collaborative effort between the University Libraries, Penn State Learning, and Teaching and Learning with Technology, offer a suite of peer-to-peer undergraduate student services. Services include Peer Research Consultants, Writing Tutors, and Tech Tutors. Online consultations are being offered this summer via Zoom. Visit our Search Bar Services page for the schedule and details.
Watch the Search Bar Services video to find out more about connecting with a peer tutor.
With research across the Penn State campuses moving to remote operations, the University Libraries is available to consult about moving operations to an online environment. Please visit the following support resources for information:
- Penn State Remote Research Resources
- Research Data Management and Sharing
- ORCID: Managing Your Identity Guide
- SciENcv for Creating Biosketch Guide (How to use the ScienceCV and ORCID systems to create a NSF Biosketch at Penn State)
Workshops & Instruction
Undergraduate Research Workshops
The University Libraries has created a poster creation guide and offers one-on-one consultations using Microsoft Bookings for students. This replaces the Designing and Creating Effective Research Posters Workshop that was cancelled this spring along with other undergraduate workshops.
- Subject experts
- Ask a Librarian
- Physical Materials/Access Services
- Library Learning Services
- Research, Data, and Analytics Support
- Libraries Administration
- Barbara Dewey, Dean, University Libraries and Scholarly Communications (email@example.com)
- Dace Freivalds. Interim Associate Dean for Strategic Technologies (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mihoko Hosoi, Associate Dean for Collections, Research, and Scholarly Communications (email@example.com)
- Leo Lo, Associate Dean for Learning, Undergraduate Services, and Commonwealth Campus Libraries (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Rob Harris, Human Resources Strategic Partner (email@example.com)