Main Policy Content
- Use of Vacation
- Accrual of Vacation
- Exceptions to Vacation Accrual Provisions
- Accrual and Use of Vacation During a Sabbatical Leave
- Settlement for Unused Vacation Balance at Time of Resignation or Retirement, or Upon Completion of a Fixed Term Appointment
- Cross References
To state the University Libraries’ policy on vacation accrual for Libraries’ faculty since there are no University policies relating to faculty vacation time. University faculty typically do not earn vacation, due to the nature of their assignment. They generally work a 36-week contract, and are afforded the flexibility to take time off when classes are not in session. They typically do not take time off during the academic semester. Libraries' faculty, in contrast, generally have a 48-week contract, and work a regular schedule regardless of whether classes are in session. For this reason, the Libraries have established this policy to provide faculty with vacation time.
USE OF VACATION:
Vacation time off is scheduled by mutual agreement between the faculty member and his/her supervisor. The University Libraries may, at its discretion, require a faculty member on a Fixed Term I appointment to take vacation time off during the appointment so that all accumulated vacation is expended prior to the conclusion of the appointment. Libraries' faculty on Fixed Term II appointments must expend all accumulated vacation prior to the conclusion of the appointment.
Only days on which the faculty member normally would have worked are charged against vacation allowance. Deductions from salary for time off in excess of accumulated vacation may be made only for full-day absences.
Libraries’ faculty on less than twelve-month contracts may use vacation during work periods only.
Monthly vacation use must be recorded on the faculty member’s electronic attendance record.
ACCRUAL OF VACATION:
During the first twenty-five (25) years of continuous regular employment, a faculty member on a standing appointment or a twelve-month Fixed Term I contract accrues 16 hours vacation in any month in which the faculty member is paid for at least half of normally scheduled work time for that month. Maximum accumulation is 240 hours.
From the beginning of the twenty-sixth (26th) continuous year of service, the monthly rate of accumulation is 18 hours, with a maximum accumulation of 264 hours.
Months of Service
Maximum Monthly Hours Earned
1 through 300
Libraries’ faculty on less than twelve-month contracts accrue vacation during work periods only. Maximum vacation accumulations are calculated using the following formula:
No. of months of appt. x maximum accumulation provided by policy ÷ 12 = maximum accumulation
(E.g., if you are on a 10-month contract, your maximum accumulation is 10 x 240 divided by 12 = 200 hours)
Libraries’ faculty on Fixed Term II appointments accumulate vacation on a prorated basis.
Monthly accrual and must be recorded on the faculty member’s timecard.
EXCEPTIONS TO VACATION ACCRUAL PROVISIONS:
A Libraries’ faculty member may request a temporary exception to the maximum accumulation limit by submitting a Request to Exceed Vacation Maximum Form to their supervisor, for the following reasons:
- A Libraries’ faculty member preparing for a major life event such as the birth or adoption of a child, finishing a degree, etc., may need more paid time off than provided above.
- An unexpected work-related situation (e.g., employee turnover in same department) may cause a faculty member to miss or delay using accrued vacation, resulting in a vacation balance that exceeds the maximum stated above. The days accumulated in excess of the maximums stated above must be used within the next 12 months.
In the situations described above, if the faculty member terminates employment, then vacation pay off as described below will not include any days accumulated in excess of the applicable maximum cited above.
ACCRUAL AND USE OF VACATION DURING A SABBATICAL LEAVE:
A Libraries’ faculty member does not accrue additional vacation while on sabbatical leave, but retains his or her vacation accumulation at the start of the leave.
SETTLEMENT FOR UNUSED VACATION BALANCE AT TIME OF RESIGNATION OR RETIREMENT, OR UPON COMPLETION OF A FIXED-TERM APPOINTMENT:
A Libraries’ faculty member who terminates employment after completing at least one continuous year in a standing or Fixed-Term I appointment, or an employee on a Fixed-Term I appointment of less than one year who terminates at the end of the appointment, shall receive the cash equivalent of unused accumulation (not to exceed the maximum provided by policy); however, this provision for making payment for unused vacation shall not apply to an employee:
- who is terminating from a Fixed-Term I appointment, if the employee will be reappointed within three consecutive months to a Fixed-Term I or standing appointment or,
- if the department required the employee to take vacation time off during the appointment so that all or part of the accumulated vacation is expended prior to the conclusion of the appointment. See HR50 for special provisions of retirement.
Please note: Libraries' faculty on Fixed Term II appointments must expend all accumulated vacation prior to the conclusion of the appointment.
Effective Date: December 7, 2009
Date Approved: December 7, 2009 (Dean's Library Council)
Revision History (and effective dates):
- February 2018 - Categorization changed from UL-HRG to UL-ACG to reflect new PSU Academic Policy classification
- December 7, 2009 – Revised policy
- February 5, 1998 – Revised policy
- February 1995 – New policy
Last Review Date: December 2009