In 1969, President Richard Nixon created the Task Force on Women's Rights and Responsibilities that marked the beginning of a successful initiative to recruit and train women for upper-level governmental positions. Unfortunately, few of the women who joined the government as a result of this initiative left collections of papers for historians to review. Many of the women are nearing retirement age or have retired; a few have died. Their recollections, along with those of the men who were involved in the effort, make a significant contribution to the documentation of the history of women in modern American political life.
You are here
Featured Collections A-Z
Arthur Edwin Bye, Jr., was born in Arnhem, the Netherlands, on August 15, 1919. He came to Pennsylvania at an early age when his father was a professor of art history at Swarthmore. Bye received a bachelor’s degree in landscape architecture from the Pennsylvania State University in 1942. Bye published several books, most notably Art into Landscape, Landscape into Art, filled with photographs, many of his own works, framing landscaped views both natural and man-made that he thought successful. Bye died on November 25, 2001.
This index to the maps of abandoned mines in Pennsylvania is intended to help in the identification and location of existing mine maps. The index was created in 1998 and represents over 11,000 abandoned mine maps available in repositories throughout the Commonwealth.
The Alice Marshall Women's History Collection, part of the Penn State Harrisburg Library's Archives and Special Collections, consists of literary, graphic, and manuscript materials dealing with the issues and individuals that comprised women's history from the 15th century to the early 1980s.
Alma Mahler-Werfel, wife to composer Gustav Mahler, architect Walter Gropius, and writer Franz Werfel, was given a bound volume containing seventy-seven letters from significant representatives of European and American cultural and intellectual history. The website, in German, consists of a short introduction and presentation of the project including the technical aspects (Das Projekt), a summary of Alma Mahler-Werfel's biography (Biographisches), a bibliography (Bibliographie), and the letters themselves.
The production of drawing manuals designed specifically for children was a goal of even the earliest authors and publishers. Toward the middle of the 19th century, new forms of drawing manuals began to appear. One of the most important of these was unbound drawing cards, issued in packets with specific instructions for their use.
A growing collection of over 80,000 images documenting the history of painting, sculpture, architecture, and other visual arts from prehistoric times to the present. Includes images from the VRC's image collection as well as professional photography that has been licensed for Penn State use from vendors such as Scholars Resource and Davis Art Images, in addition to a selection of art works from the Palmer Museum of Art.
Behrend College's first student newspaper, the Nittany Cub, filled the bins a mere month after the campus, known then as Behrend Center, opened for classes in the fall of 1948. The cover story was a rousing thank you to Mary Behrend for the gift of land and buildings that provided for the new school’s existence. Through the years and the many title changes, including Behrend Collegian, Penn State Behrend Collegian, Collegian, The Behrend College Collegian, and currently The Behrend Beacon, the publishing of a student newspaper has been a proud Behrend tradition. This digital content contains the issues from 1948 through 2010.
In 1948, the Behrend family donated their farm to the Pennsylvania State University for use as an Erie campus. This collection includes a wide variety of items including personal papers, family films, books, and antiques.
The Penn State Berks Archives currently houses the Wyomissing Polytechnic Institute Collection, the Dr. Harold W. Perkins Collection and the Dr. Ruth M. Freyberger Collection, as well as the materials documenting the Berks Campus History Project that culminated with the publication of We Are Penn State Berks: Celebrating Fifty Years 1958 – 2008.
Birket Foster was part of one of the great periods of book illustration in England. A former apprentice of Thomas Bewick, he worked for the London News early in his career, and soon thereafter he began to make drawings for the illustrated books of the day. He is also among the most loved of the Victorian watercolorists, and we are fortunate in this exhibition to have been able to include an original watercolor, lent to us by John Kaiser.
Brent Wilson joined Penn State's faculty in 1974 as a professor of art education as well as head of the art education program in the School of Visual Arts (1983-1985; 1989-1999). The Brent Wilson papers reflect his participation in implementing national art education policies and document his service as an administrator and scholarly work on children in art education.
The Center for Pennsylvania Culture Studies Collection, part of the Penn State Harrisburg Library's Archives and Special Collections, provides resources for the study of Pennsylvania's cultural heritage. These include Archives of Pennsylvania Folklife and Ethnography, Mac Barrick Collection of Folklife and Regional History, John Yetter Collection of Steelton Historical Material, and American Studies Resource Collection.
A growing collection containing over 1,000 images focusing on the buildings and landscape of central Pennsylvania. These pictures have been selected and photographed by experts in the unique architecture and landscapes of our region.
The Index includes obituaries or death notices included in the obituary section of the Centre Daily Times, 1920-2017. It does not include news stories about deaths that appeared in other sections.
This multidisciplinary collection includes books, magazines, photographs, manuscripts, sheet music, postcards, record albums, and artifacts of the African experience in the United States, Latin America, Caribbean, and Africa, dating from 1632 to the present. The collection is located on the 3rd Floor of West Pattee and has limited hours, however, materials from the collection can be accessed in the Special Collections Library during open hours.
Reports from the Pennsylvania commission for the investigation and control of the disease (1912-1914). 11 documents reporting the research and work of the Pa Blight Commission
The Eberly Family Special Collections Library has a sizable collection of material relating to the Civil War. Collected here are diaries by various people who served during the war, offering insight into the lives of regular soldiers.
Richter maintained notebooks for all of his novels. The materials in the notebook for The Waters of Kronos are on looseleaf, usually handwritten, but sometimes typed. The notebook does not seem to represent a chronological narrative of the novel's creation. Although the pages are numbered in pencil, this was probably done after the entire notebook was completed and may have been done by the author's daughter who donated the material. Based on the marks on many sheets, Richter seemed to return to much of this notebook during the writing process. The notebook gives the viewer a sense of how Richter wrote.
In college libraries, curriculum materials and juvenile literature collections typically support students who are majoring in Education. The Penn State Harrisburg Library's Curriculum Materials Collection (CMC) includes curriculum standards, school textbooks, activity guides, and other instructional materials for grades preK-12. The library's Juvenile Literature Collection (Juv) consists of supplementary fiction and nonfiction written for preK-12 audiences.
The Daily Collegian and its predecessors serve as an important source for documenting student life at the Pennsylvania State University . Newspapers, and specifically, student-run newspapers, such as the Daily Collegian, often document university life better than any other source-through their pictures, their editorials, and their reports on student activities and interests.
The map collection was started by Ruby Miller in 1947. The bulk of the early collection consisted of Geography Department duplicates and a large number of maps from the Army Map Service Library. The former provided the basis for what is now one of the most complete USGS collections available.
Edwin Forbes (1839-1895) was an American landscape painter and etcher best known for his sketches of military life during the American Civil War (1861-1865). In 1876, Forbes published Life Studies of the Great Army: A Historical Art Work in Copper Plate Etching Containing Forty Plates, whose plates comprise this collection.
A highlight of the Eiche Collection is the story of the Eiche family’s pet boxer named Thor, who served in World War II as part of the “Dogs for Defense” initiative.
For scholars studying children’s literature, the Eiche Collection contains books such as Aesop’s Fables, Fairy Tales by The Brothers Grimm, Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Books, Frances Hodgson Burnett’s The Secret Garden, and Kate Douglas Wiggin’s Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.
Established within The Pennsylvania State University Libraries' Historical Collections and Labor Archives in 1991, the Eighth Air Force Archive acquires and preserves original primary source documentation and reference materials devoted to the history of this important strategic bombing group during World War II, and the role that 8th Air Force veterans played in defeating the Axis powers
The Emilie Davis Diaries provide a unique opportunity to see the fascinating work of a free African American Woman living in Philadelphia during the Civil War era.
Publications of the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences including bulletins, circulars, technical papers, coal research, special publications, and more.
Biographies profile thousands of prominent Pennsylvanians who contributed to the development of the Commonwealth in many fields of endeavor. The online version offered by Penn State contains ONLY the volumes of the Encyclopedia known to be in the public domain (the first 14 volumes published before 1923)
The English emblem books scanned for this project are cultural artifacts frequently used in the analysis of reading practices, printing history, Elizabethan popular culture, the use of allegory, and the relationship of word to image.
In May 1903, the governor of Pennsylvania established the Pennsylvania State Forest Academy in Mont Alto. It was one of the first forestry schools in the nation along with the Biltmore Forestry School and the Yale Forestry School. The School of Forest Resources was established in 1907 as the Department of Forestry at The Pennsylvania State College, four years after the start of the Pennsylvania State Forest Academy at Mont Alto. The Penn State program absorbed the State Forest Academy in 1929.
Fred Waring, “the man who taught America how to sing,” was born in Tyrone, Pennsylvania in 1900, and was a Distinguished Alumnus and Trustee of Penn State University. Along with his group, the Pennsylvanians, he toured the United States and the world for almost seven decades, building an impressive list of accomplishments in stage, radio, motion pictures, television and music education.
George H. & Alice F. Beatty were a part of the Penn State University community for the latter half of the 20th century. Dr. Alice F.Beatty was a zoology professor at Penn State DuBois whose research focused on the diversity of the order Odonata, which consists of dragonflies and damselflies. The couple were assistant curators at the Frost Entomological Museum at Penn State from the museum’s early days. From the 1940s-1970s, they traveled throughout the northeastern and southern United States as well as on several trips to Mexico, sampling odonates and recording their field observations in notebooks. These notebooks, spanning decades of research, contain records for the approximately 60,000 odonates that they collected.
Fly fishing has a long and storied history at Penn State. To reflect that strong interest, the Penn State University Libraries have established the George Harvey Fly-Fishing Literature Collection. This collection covers fly fishing, fly tying, aquatic entomology, fish species of importance to fly fishing, and related angling topics described by prominent fly fishing authors.
"German-Language Broadsides in North America, 1730-1830," represents a significant piece of a joint scholarly publishing project between the University Libraries and the Penn State University Press. The other two components of the project are a monograph by Hermann Wellenreuther, titled Citizens in a Strange Land: A Study of German-American Broadsides and Their Meaning for Germans in North America, 1730-1830, and a print bibliography, which shares the title of this online bibliography and was compiled by Wellenreuther and his colleagues Reimer Eck and Anne von Kamp.
Digitized collection of Yearbooks for Penn State Greater Allegheny.
A. William Hajjar, a member of the architecture faculty at the Pennsylvania State University in the 1950s and 1960s, challenged the conservative look of the State College community with his contemporary-style homes. In Fall 2004, the Centre County Historical Society showcased Hajjar's local architectural legacy in an exhibit. Robert E. Malcom assembled the exhibit, spending many months taking pictures, interviewing current and former owners, and writing the text. These web pages attempt to re-create this exhibit online.
Architect Phil Hallock has likely had the largest impact on the State College landscape of any designer. Being fairly modest, he has not tooted his own horn to become widely known, although he has about sixty completed residential and commercial structures in the area. His main design mode was Mid-Century Modern, now making a big comeback across the nation.
In 1898, three brothers Ernst, Otto and Bernard Behrend along with their father Moritz, formed the Hammermill Paper Company along the shores of Lake Erie, in Erie, Pennsylvania. The archival materials date from the founding through the takeover in the mid-1980’s and describe the growth of the company and changes in the papermaking process. The papers also touch on topics of cultural interest and local history such as the 1918 influenza epidemic, the pollution of Lake Erie, and the distrust of German-Americans and their companies during the Nazi era.
Hazleton Collegian flourished from December 1937 to December 1954. The publication was published monthly through 1941, then became a weekly edition. The title changed to Highacres Collegian in January 1955 and is the current name of the student newspaper. This digital collection is through April 1994.
Of the three best known post World War II modernists of the Architecture Faculty of Penn State, Ken Heidrich is undoubtedly the least well known, at least by name, as he firmly believed no self-promotion should be done. Indirectly his work is known by thousands of locals as one of the members of the design group for the beautiful, contemporary high school buildings on Westerly Parkway.
The Holocaust and Genocide Collection at the Penn State Harrisburg Library consists of classic and scholarly works by leading historians in the field, as well as personal accounts. Works include general histories, reference sources, documents, juvenile books, curriculum materials, and conference proceedings, in all formats: monographs, encyclopedias, video recordings, DVDs, compact discs, and microforms. Subject areas covered in the collection include works on ghettos, concentration camps, resistance, liberation, survivors, children of survivors, diaries, memoirs, biographies, non-Jewish victims, Righteous Gentiles, theology, post-war trials, and reparations.
In August 2006 the Historical Collections and Labor Archives (HCLA) division of the Special Collections Library of the Pennsylvania State University acquired the corporate archives of Transaction Publishers, a gift of Dr. Irving Louis Horowitz, chairman of the board of Transaction Publishers and the Hannah Arendt Distinguished University Professor (Emeritus), Department of Sociology, Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey.
The Penn State University Libraries, in partnership with Irving L. Horowitz / Transaction Publishers, arranged, described, preserved, and cataloged the Archives. The Archives are arranged in three series: Transaction Publishers Archives, Irving L. Horowitz Academic Papers, and C. Wright Mills - the series links above lead to more contextual information about them.
The Jack Rabin Collection on Alabama Civil Rights and Southern Activists is a compact but highly complex, multi-layered compilation of documents, sound recordings, and visual images. Martin Luther King and Ralph Abernathy are among many leading lights of the civil rights movement represented in the collection.
The Suart Family Papers document multiple generations of a Pennsylvania family based in Boalsburg and Pittsburgh.
Summary Description (short) (appears on collections page) If not provided, first couple of lines of “Description” will be used. Jerry Aloysius Doyle (1897-1986) was an American artist. Doyle's editorial cartoons appeared nationally in hundreds of newspapers through syndication as well as in popular magazines, scholarly publications and school textbooks. His career, working principally with the Philadelphia Record and Philadelphia Daily News newspapers, spanned nearly sixty years.
The Jonathan W. White, Jr. Papers contains papers from Dr. White's sixty-year career in honey research. Dr. White also collected relevant research publications dating to the late 1890s.
Priestley's considerable talents as an experimental chemist led him to make discoveries about the properties of gases that revolutionized the science.He was a theologian, a historian, a linguist, and a writer of learned tracts on education, politics, literary criticism, oratory, grammar, psychology, perspective, metaphysics, electricity, and optics. He was above all a Christian minister of the Enlightenment, and his religious dissent made him a seminal figure in the history of modern Unitarianism.
Judy Swartz (1941-1991) was a Continuing Education program planner at Penn State York who had a strong commitment to children's education and children's reading. She inaugurated an annual summer program for area educators that featured a nationally known expert in children's literature and reading. The reading collection is a tribute to Judy's work in this field, and was established in part by donations from attendees in the summer program.
The Kneebone Collection complements the extensive materials in the general stacks of the Life Sciences Library, as well as the many rare and illustrated volumes located in the Special Collections Library which also houses Dr. Kneebone's papers and correspondence
La Vie, the Penn State University annual student yearbook, has been in production documenting student life continuously since 1890.The Online La Vie project, digitizing yearbooks beginning in 1890 through 2000, is a joint collaboration between the Penn State University Archives and the University Libraries Digitization and Preservation Department.
Lancaster Farming is the leading Northeast and Mid-Atlantic farm newspaper. It is one of Pennsylvania's most popular farming newspapers and celebrated its 50th anniversary in November 2005. This digital collection contains all issues from November 4, 1955 to December 27, 2003. For tips on how to search please see the FAQ in the upper right hand corner of this page.
PSU University Libraries are pleased to announce an agreement with the Latin American Public Opinion Project (LAPOP) to provide access to selected LAPOP datasets to enrolled PSU students, staff, faculty, and instructors.
Explore our developing experimental site for information about early movable books. You will find a searchable research database of items held in multiple institutions, and a “play” site where you can manipulate several examples in a virtual gaming environment. The “About” page tells you more about the project to date, and the scholarly essay, “What Are Movable Books?” provides background on the genre.
Many of the books in Eiche’s library were published by the Limited Editions Club, which was founded in 1929. The club printed approximately twelve editions of classic literature each year in small runs limited to 1500 subscribers.
Lynd Ward (1905–1985) was one of the foremost wood engravers and graphic book artists of 20th-century America. The Lynd Ward Collection of Wood Engravings and Other Graphic Art includes some 5,000 wood engravings, proof sheets, wood-engraving blocks, and original illustrations for many of his books. Highlights include wood engravings for Ward’s novels without words (notably Gods’ Man, Vertigo, and Madman’s Drum) and many of the wood blocks and proof sheets for his illustrations to Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley’s Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus. Also in the collection are original illustrations for a number of his children’s books, including The Silver Pony and The Biggest Bear.
This collection includes 468 glass lantern slides dating from 1897 to about 1902, apparently used by Mira Lloyd Dock in her lectures at the Mont Alto Forestry School. Many of these photos were taken at Wetzel's Swamp near Harrisburg (now Wildwood Park) but other states and European sites are also represented.
This narrative provides a brief history of the first four decades of the College history.
This document contains physical, military and demographic information for nearly 30,000 Union soldiers who enlisted in the Union army and later failed to report for duty and were subsequently cited as deserters. The roster was compiled from monthly lists that were submitted to the Provost Marshal and Adjutant General between 1861 and 1865.
The Ogontz Mosaic was the publication of the prominent elite and prestigious school known as The Ogontz School for Young Ladies. Usually published six times per year from 1884-1950, with occasional special issues, the Mosaic included articles about the school, its students, alumnae, and faculty. Issues included articles by the principals, including Abby Sutherland, the principal and owner of the school for many years.
For 100 years, the elite and prestigious school known as The Ogontz School for Young Ladies was a prominent force in female private education. In 1950 the school, campus, and facilities were given to The Pennsylvania State College, now The Pennsylvania State University.
The permanent collection of the Palmer Museum of Art includes American and European paintings, drawings, photographs, prints, and sculpture; contemporary European, American, and Japanese studio ceramics; Asian ceramics, jades, paintings, and prints; and objects from ancient European, African, Near Eastern, and American cultures. This database contains descriptions of more than 7,000 works as well as images for many of them. Please contact the museum for additional collection information.
In 1939, Mr. Eiche initiated a project to preserve newspaper clippings related to Penn State Altoona in scrapbooks. The scrapbook project continued from 1939 until 2011, and the books include clippings from local newspapers such as the Altoona Mirror, Tribune Democrat, Tyrone Herald, Bedford Gazette, Ivy Leaf, Somerset American, and others.
The Penn State Behrend Collection contains materials documenting the rise of the institution over the last 60 years including various official college and student publications, news clippings, and memorabilia.
The collection of yearbooks for Penn State DuBois, "La Vita" (1963-1965) and the "Lion's Paw" (1972-73; 1975-76; 1978-79) provide digital access to campus history and life during the 1960s and 1970s.
The nation's second oldest college humor magazine, Penn State Froth was founded in 1909 and published from 1910 to 1985. The magazine was founded and established to replace Penn State University's first humor magazine, "The Lemon," which published its final issue on June 10, 1908. Froth became wildly popular among students and it also became influential to the culture of the university. Froth’s mascot, a jester named Frothy who graced the covers of many of the earlier issues, eventually began making personal appearances along with the Nittany Lion at Penn State football games. This collection features a total of 19,876 digitized images.
Originally published as The Roundtable , the Penn State Harrisburg college newspaper has provided an invaluable perspective on the events and people who have shaped the college over the past four decades. The student-run newspaper serves as a time capsule and can be used as a primary source for research about the issues and events that were important to Penn State Harrisburg students.
Penn State University historic information including a timeline, illustrated history, the Alma Mater, a list of class gifts, landmarks, the Nittany Lion, oral histories, and presidents.
This photograph collection is one of the most heavily utilized collections in the Penn State University Archives. The collection contains approximately 500,000 images: black and white prints, color prints, oversized photos (larger than 8”x10”), color slides, photographic negatives, digital scans, and postcards.
As a collaborative project at Penn State, the series brings together the complementary strengths of the Press, the Libraries, The Department of French and Francophone Studies, and The Department of Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese. The Press will contribute its expertise in peer review, content development, design and production, and marketing. The Libraries bring expertise in technology, collection development, and archiving. The two academic departments provide scholarly support in the form of an editorial board that solicits and reviews potential series books.
In 1988, the University Archives, a unit of the University Libraries Special Collections, began a concentrated effort to locate historical materials that would document the growth of athletic policies and the achievement of our teams. Our goal has been to establish a Penn State Sports Archive that will be unrivaled in its scope and serve both scholars and administrators.
The digital archives is divided into five major categories of materials: history of the campus, maps, development plans, buildings, and campus landmarks. This extensive collection includes a hustorical timeline, bios of presidents, class gifts, and more.
Founded in 1916, Penn State Wilkes-Barre, located in Lehman, PA, has had a rich and varied history. The Penn State Wilkes-Barre Campus Collection features a selection of yearbooks, scrapbooks, and blueprints dating mostly from the 1950s to the 1980s that document campus life and activities.
Penn State was chartered in 1855 as the Farmers' High School of Pennsylvania and renamed the Agricultural College of Pennsylvania in 1862. Its first president, Dr. Evan Pugh, firmly believed that as Pennsylvania's land grant institution, the college must perform scientific investigations in agriculture and communicate this knowledge to the state's farmers. It first distributed research publications and invited farmers to campus to see new innovations in the 1870s. In 1892, it launched the nation's first correspondence courses in agriculture.
The collection contains photographs of railroad bridges in Pennsylvania, mostly in the Pittsburgh area, 1891-1915; photographs of technical drawings produced by the Pennsylvania State College, Civil Engineering Dept. depicting structural details and complete designs of modern railroad bridges, 1903-1904; and lantern slides of railroad bridges, 1884-ca. 1904.
Pennsylvania Civil War Era Newspaper Collection contain all the words, photographs, and advertisements from selected newspapers published during the pivotal years before, during, and after the U.S. Civil War. Newspapers played a prominent role in the conflict. They helped mobilize public opinion for, or against, the war, relayed battlefield developments to their readers, and documented political life on the homefront. Beyond military or political concerns there is much on cultural topics including travel, arts and leisure, sports and contests, and local social events.
The Pennsylvania Center for the Book provides avenues of exploration into the world of Pennsylvania writing. Select the county for which you want to retrieve newspaper records.
This collection contains materials relating to the geology and water resources of Pennsylvania as published by the PA Geological Survey, U.S. Geological Survey, and others.
This collection includes over 250 images from the holdings of Rare Books and Manuscripts in the Special Collections Library. The term "Fraktur" (the word is both singular and plural) originally described a type of German printing similar to old English Gothic.
The Pennsylvania Mining Resources collection contains lists and links to publications related to the mineral resources and mining history of Pennsylvania.
Beginning with the United States Newspaper Program in 1983, which was funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) and the Pennsylvania State Legislature, the Penn State University Libraries has partnered with other institutions in the Commonwealth to participate in nationally coordinated programs to find, catalog, preserve, and enhance access to all the newspapers published in Pennsylvania.
The People's Contest: A Civil War Era Digital Archive is a collaborative project of the Penn State University Libraries and the Richards Civil War Center. Its mission is to promote research into the lived experience of Pennsylvanians between 1851 and 1874. The project website features a unique statewide bibliographic database of hidden collections, digitized manuscripts, and contextual essays.
A collection of manuscripts from the Pinkerton National Detective Agency concerning the Scranton, Pa riot in 1877.
The Bellefonte Central Railroad played a decisive role in both the economic development of the Centre County region and the rise of The Pennsylvania State University. The short line began rail transport in 1886 as the Buffalo Run, Bellefonte, and Bald Eagle Railroad (BRB&BE) hauling iron ore from deposits near Struble, west of State College, to Bellefonte.
The Sanborn Map Company, the best known of the US fire-insurance map producers, has made maps since 1867. The fire insurance maps produced by Sanborn show building footprints, building material, height or number of stories, building use, lot lines, road widths and water facilities. The maps also show street names and property boundaries of the time. This collection of maps is historically significant as it is sometimes the best detailed map of a town or city dating from the mid 1800s.
The Saylor football statistics database consists of approximately 6,700 files. There are different types of files which include records from all colleges, universities, and junior colleges across the country, conference information, including defunct conferences and alliances. Also included are high school conferences in Pennsylvania and New Jersey and any other high schools that played smaller colleges.
The Engineering Library has an extensive collection of print standards. Standards are guidelines of rules for products, processes, test methods, or materials and are created to produce a level of uniformity, interchangeability, reliability, or means of comparison.
Constructed in 1896, the obelisk, also called the polylith, stands 32.7 feet high and weighs 53.4 tons. This "pile of rocks" was created the same year the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences (formerly the School of Mines) came into existence. The obelisk, built by State College stonemason Michael Womer, began as a kind of answer to all the requests the college had been receiving for information on stones.
The Thomas Richards (T.R.) Johns Papers digital project offers a unique historical resource to examine life, work, and community within the central Pennsylvania bituminuous coal mining region.
The Engineering Library has an extensive collection of approximately 500,000 print technical reports and papers. Technical reports describe the process, progress, or results of scientific and/or engineering research and often include in-depth experimental details, data, and results.
The Thomas W. Benson Political Protest Digital Collection is a unique educational and scholarly resource documenting and exploring themes associated with the student anti-war movement and campus unrest in America during the late 1960s and early 1970s.
The Pennsylvania State University Libraries acquired several thousand videotapes, reports, and photographs that were generated during the successful cleanup and recovery of the Three Mile Island Unit 2 (TMI-2) nuclear reactor.
Between 1935 and 1944, a group of photographers working for the federal government fanned out across the country to record American life in pictures, primarily under the auspices of the Farm Security Administration (FSA) and the Office of War Information (OWI). The Times of Sorrow and Hope website features a complete catalog of Pennsylvania photographs from the FSA-OWI collection. The catalog represents photographs taken by close to forty photographers in nearly two hundred Pennsylvania towns, villages, cities, and landmarks.
Complete collection of all the Proceedings, Transactions, and Northeast Wildlife available in one location. The intent of this collaboration between Northeast Transactions of the Wildlife Society and The Pennsylvania State University Libraries is to provide a repository of the proceedings and publications available to the general public to benefit the conservation of fish and wildlife resources.
This site is a collaborative effort between the library and the Penn State History Department. The essays are written by history students at Penn State, under the supervision of Dr. William Pencak, History Department, and Eric Novotny, Humanities Librarian. Each essay provides an introduction to a unique and interesting episode in Pennsylvania History. Select the primary source documents for each essay to read accounts from actual participants and to see historical events through their eyes.
Publications and meeting minutes (1863-1876) of the Union League of Philadelphia, a patriotic society founded in 1862 to support the Union and the policies of President Abraham Lincoln.
This collection consists of 164 comic valentine sheets (ca. 1870-1920), 10 sentimental valentines from World War II (ca. 1939-1945), and 7 suffrage valentines (ca. 1915-1920) from the Alice Marshall Women’s History Collection, located in Archives and Special Collections at the Penn State Harrisburg Library.
Wayne Herkness (1882-1957) entered the real estate business within a few years of his father’s untimely death in 1899. The family lived at Cloverly Farm, a country estate on the north side of Vinegar Hill (Susquehanna Road). In 1904 the property was divided for sub-division and the first homes on present day Sewell Lane were built. In 1905, Herkness joined with G. Henry Stetson, second son of John B. Stetson of hat fame, to form the firm of Herkness, Stetson & Company.
The poster was a major tool for broad dissemination of information during war, as countries on both sides of a conflict distributed them widely to garner support, urge action, spread messages, warn of the evils of an enemy, and boost morale.
Includes 62,608 cartes-de-visite and approximately 200 cabinet cards. U.S. photographers dominate the collection, although the work of photographers from several other countries--including Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Sweden Switzerland--is also represented. Images consist largely of individual and family portraits, but also include some scenic views, Civil War images, and political personalities.
William Warren Scranton was born on July 19, 1917, in Madison, Connecticut. His ancestors were New England colonial settlers, founders of Scranton, Pennsylvania, and prominent Pennsylvania businessmen with interests in iron and coal--the Lackawanna Iron and Coal Company--as well as utililities, and banking. The family were early Republican Party supporters and elected representatives.
This collection contains 368 stereographs that document trench warfare during World War I. Some of the images contain graphic representations of injuries and death from combat. The majority of the stereoscopic views were photographed in France and Belgium, and there are a smaller number of images documenting Germany, Italy, the Macedonian front and Thessaloniki, Greece.
During World War II, many Penn State Altoona students and faculty joined the war effort. While these members of the college community were stationed overseas, Mr. Eiche corresponded with them via letters. Many of these veterans returned to finish their education after the war ended.
This growing collection of thousands of color images of historic architecture and landscape design focuses on the major monuments found in the textbooks most commonly used in survey courses. These pictures have been gathered for Penn State users from a variety of sources: professional color photography that has been licensed for Penn State use, original color photography provided by university faculty, and some copies from books and similar sources. This version of the database has been provided exclusively for Penn State users.