Browse the Collection
About the Collection
These records consist of materials from United Steelworkers of America District 33, which coordinated local unions in the iron region of Minnesota and upper Michigan from 1942 to 1955. This collection includes local union contracts and correspondence as well as conference records, administrative files, scrapbooks, minute books, and photographs dating approximately from1937 to 1985.
The records cover various topics related to the organizing effort including district restructuring, the steel strikes of 1946 and 1959, and the campaign visit of John F. Kennedy in 1960, among others.
This digital collection forms a part of the "Beneath the Surface and Cast in Steel: Forging the American Industrial Union Movement Digital Project" funded by the Council on Library and Information Resources.
- Amalgamated Association of Iron, Steel, and Tin Workers of North America records
- John Chorey papers
- Howard Truman Curtiss Papers
- George Hoenshel Fleming Sr. family papers
- George Medrick Papers
- Philip Murray papers
- Harold Rasmussen scrapbooks, badges, and buttons
- United Mine Workers of America photographic, graphic, and artifacts collection
- United Mine Workers of America, President's Office Correspondence
- United Steelworkers of America District 33 records