THE JAMES A. BEAVER INTERREGNUM (1906-1908)
While the trustees deliberated over the important selection of an executive who could continue the momentum of Atherton's administration, the board designated as Acting President James A. Beaver, president of the board, former governor, judge, Civil War general and leading citizen of nearby Bellefonte. A vice president (Judson Perry Welsh) was appointed to handle financial affairs and serve as registrar.
Forward steps taken during 1907 included administrative reorganization establishing a council of administration to serve as the President's cabinet and the judicial organ of the general faculty; organization of a student board to work with discipline and attendance; and approval of the first long-range campus development plan. Home economics and forestry were expanded into departments, and engineering extension work began. Buildings were opened or projected for agriculture, mining and chemistry (the "Bull Pen") among others.