Farmers' Institute program begun; developed into Agricultural Extension Service.
"Alma Mater" written by Professor Fred Lewis Pattee.
Schwab Auditorium completed; first building given by private donors, Mr. and Mrs. Charles M. Schwab (trustee).
Carnegie Library dedicated; gift of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Carnegie (trustee).
State Collegian replaced Free Lance as student newspaper. Became P. S. Collegian semi-weekly 1911; Daily Collegian since 1940.
First honorary doctorate conferred on William A. Buckhout, professor of botany; second conferred in 1908 on Dr. Louis Reber, first dean of engineering; no other honorary doctorates until LL.D. conferred on U.S. President Eisenhower in 1955.
Library acquired Pennsylvania history and cultural collection named in honor of General James A. Beaver.
Extension programs began in agriculture and engineering.
Home economics department established.
Institute of Animal Nutrition established by Dr. H. P. Armsby.
Nittany Lion adopted by students as athletics symbol. Officially accepted by trustees in 1942 when Nittany Lion shrine was gift of class of 1940.
"Druids," first men's honorary "hat" society, formed.
Dr. Edwin Erle Sparks became eighth President; retired in 1920.
Penn State Farmer began monthly publication; discontinued 1961.