Spring 2022 Open House
The spring 2022 University Libraries Open House event will be online in the form of a digital badge. Dates for the event are January 31 - February 11.
If you aren't familiar with the term, a digital badge is a visual representation of some skill or competency that you have learned, and it provides a record of what you have learned. Students will go through a series of online steps where they have to perform a task (read a page, perform a search, watch a video, etc.) and provide a response or answer to a question that proves they've completed that task and synthesized the information. Submissions will be verified by library employees and students will use the badge as proof of their learning. If you want learn more, you can check out this guide.
The Virtual Libraries Open House badge will be open to students for completion between January 31st and February 11th. Evaluation of all badge steps will be complete by the end of February.
Here are the steps!
- How do I read a call number?
- What are library guides?
- What is LionSearch and how do I use it?
- What are course reserves?
- How can I get help?
Information for Faculty
We invite faculty to encourage students to participate in this online event.
Consider requiring participation as a homework or an extra credit assignment.
- By doing so, you will give your students an overview of our libraries and help support student confidence in doing research, while still reserving valuable class time.
Upon completion, students will be able to show you what they've achieved. Once students have submitted all their work and all steps have been verified, they earn the badge. They can share it with you in a few ways:
- A link to the earned badge.
- A screenshot of their completed badge.
- A link or screenshot to the student's badge profile
- Easy ways to share a digital badge
The Virtual Open House digital badge should take just a little more than an hour to complete.
- Students can complete the badge at their own pace any time between January 31 and February 11.
- Please note: Students will be prompted to create an account within the Penn State Digital Badges system before they are able to proceed with the badge. They should make sure to log in with their Penn State Account when doing so.
Upon completion of the Open House badge, students will be able to:
- identify the Libraries tab in Canvas;
- read a Library of Congress Call Number;
- perform a search in LionSearch;
- recognize the variety of online resources available to them, including the Libraries' homepage, Course Reserves, subject guides, and the Ask a Librarian service.
Questions about the Open House should be directed to openhouseteamleaders@PennStateOffice365.onmicrosoft.com.