The digital archives is divided into five major categories of materials: history of the campus, maps, development plans, buildings, and campus landmarks. This extensive collection includes a historical timeline, bios of presidents, class gifts, and more.
You are here
University History and Archives
The Penn State Berks Archives currently houses the Wyomissing Polytechnic Institute Collection, the Dr. Harold W. Perkins Collection and the Dr. Ruth M. Freyberger Collection, as well as the materials documenting the Berks Campus History Project that culminated with the publication of We Are Penn State Berks: Celebrating Fifty Years 1958 – 2008.
This narrative provides a brief history of the first four decades of the College history.
The Ogontz Mosaic was the publication of the prominent elite and prestigious school known as The Ogontz School for Young Ladies. Usually published six times per year from 1884-1950, with occasional special issues, the Mosaic included articles about the school, its students, alumnae, and faculty. Issues included articles by the principals, including Abby Sutherland, the principal and owner of the school for many years.
For 100 years, the elite and prestigious school known as The Ogontz School for Young Ladies was a prominent force in female private education. In 1950 the school, campus, and facilities were given to The Pennsylvania State College, now The Pennsylvania State University.
Penn State University historic information including a timeline, illustrated history, the Alma Mater, a list of class gifts, landmarks, the Nittany Lion, oral histories, and presidents.
The Penn State Behrend Collection contains materials documenting the rise of the institution over the last 60 years including various official college and student publications, news clippings, and memorabilia.
In 1939, Mr. Eiche initiated a project to preserve newspaper clippings related to Penn State Altoona in scrapbooks. The scrapbook project continued from 1939 until 2011, and the books include clippings from local newspapers such as the Altoona Mirror, Tribune Democrat, Tyrone Herald, Bedford Gazette, Ivy Leaf, Somerset American, and others.
During World War II, many Penn State Altoona students and faculty joined the war effort. While these members of the college community were stationed overseas, Mr. Eiche corresponded with them via letters. Many of these veterans returned to finish their education after the war ended.
In May 1903, the governor of Pennsylvania established the Pennsylvania State Forest Academy in Mont Alto. It was one of the first forestry schools in the nation along with the Biltmore Forestry School and the Yale Forestry School. The School of Forest Resources was established in 1907 as the Department of Forestry at The Pennsylvania State College, four years after the start of the Pennsylvania State Forest Academy at Mont Alto. The Penn State program absorbed the State Forest Academy in 1929.