Originally published as The Roundtable , the Penn State Harrisburg college newspaper has provided an invaluable perspective on the events and people who have shaped the college over the past four decades. The student-run newspaper serves as a time capsule and can be used as a primary source for research about the issues and events that were important to Penn State Harrisburg students.
You are here
University History and Archives
Behrend College's first student newspaper, the Nittany Cub, filled the bins a mere month after the campus, known then as Behrend Center, opened for classes in the fall of 1948. The cover story was a rousing thank you to Mary Behrend for the gift of land and buildings that provided for the new school’s existence. Through the years and the many title changes, including Behrend Collegian, Penn State Behrend Collegian, Collegian, The Behrend College Collegian, and currently The Behrend Beacon, the publishing of a student newspaper has been a proud Behrend tradition. This digital content contains the issues from 1948 through 2010.
The Daily Collegian and its predecessors serve as an important source for documenting student life at the Pennsylvania State University . Newspapers, and specifically, student-run newspapers, such as the Daily Collegian, often document university life better than any other source-through their pictures, their editorials, and their reports on student activities and interests.
In 1988, the University Archives, a unit of the University Libraries Special Collections, began a concentrated effort to locate historical materials that would document the growth of athletic policies and the achievement of our teams. Our goal has been to establish a Penn State Sports Archive that will be unrivaled in its scope and serve both scholars and administrators.
La Vie, the Penn State University annual student yearbook, has been in production documenting student life continuously since 1890.The Online La Vie project, digitizing yearbooks beginning in 1890 through 2000, is a joint collaboration between the Penn State University Archives and the University Libraries Digitization and Preservation Department.
Hazleton Collegian flourished from December 1937 to December 1954. The publication was published monthly through 1941, then became a weekly edition. The title changed to Highacres Collegian in January 1955 and is the current name of the student newspaper. This digital collection is through April 1994.
The nation's second oldest college humor magazine, Penn State Froth was founded in 1909 and published from 1910 to 1985. The magazine was founded and established to replace Penn State University's first humor magazine, "The Lemon," which published its final issue on June 10, 1908. Froth became wildly popular among students and it also became influential to the culture of the university. Froth’s mascot, a jester named Frothy who graced the covers of many of the earlier issues, eventually began making personal appearances along with the Nittany Lion at Penn State football games. This collection features a total of 19,876 digitized images.
Brent Wilson joined Penn State's faculty in 1974 as a professor of art education as well as head of the art education program in the School of Visual Arts (1983-1985; 1989-1999). The Brent Wilson papers reflect his participation in implementing national art education policies and document his service as an administrator and scholarly work on children in art education.
This photograph collection is one of the most heavily utilized collections in the Penn State University Archives. The collection contains approximately 500,000 images: black and white prints, color prints, oversized photos (larger than 8”x10”), color slides, photographic negatives, digital scans, and postcards.