The Penn State Libraries is committed to supporting teaching and learning, and during this time of online instruction, all libraries are offering remote consultation, reference and assistance, via Ask a Librarian (chat, email, phone or text) or by contacting your Subject Librarian or Library.
The Libraries offers a rich collection of online resources including streaming video, electronic books, databases and electronic journals:
- E-books and Other Course Materials - Resources for Students and Instructors & Designers
- VitalSource Free E-textbook Access
- Find Books, Articles and More
- Databases for your research
- Digital collections
- Library Guides for courses, subjects, and research basics
- Streaming video
If a resource is not available as a full-text version online, Penn State students, faculty, and staff can place a request to our Interlibrary Loan (ILL). We will update you about our ability to provide this to you via email. If you have trouble accessing any online resources, please review these common Library Authentication Problems or Ask!
If you have questions about using our online resources, just Ask! You can email or chat with a librarian at any time. The chat service is staffed by Penn State Librarians and staff and will be available:
- Sunday: noon - 10:00 p.m.
- Monday-Thusday: 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
We are happy to provide remote research consultations via phone or online. Please use the Research Consultation Request form to schedule an appointment. Please also note that our Ask a Librarian team has started a COVID-19 FAQ document to assist users.
Adaptive Technology and Services
Mobile Technology Availability
Please note that Penn State IT will ship laptops to students, faculty, and staff who have no other options and need access to a computer. Laptop requests should be made via the Penn State Mobile Technology form.
Subject experts are available to Penn State students and instructors for one-on-one consultations online. Please schedule an online consultation via email. Instructors can also arrange for a librarian to provide remote instruction for their courses.
Library staff are also able provide virtual consultations for statistical methods, quantitative research, data visualization, geospatial analysis and more. Please email us at L-DATA-MGMT@lists.psu.edu to schedule a consultation.
Libraries Contact Information
- Subject experts
- Ask a Librarian
- Physical Materials/Access Services
- Library Learning Services
- Research, Data, and Analytics Support
- Libraries Administration
- Barbara Dewey, Dean, University Libraries and Scholarly Communications (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dace Freivalds. Interim Associate Dean for Strategic Technologies (email@example.com)
- Mihoko Hosoi, Associate Dean for Collections, Research, and Scholarly Communications (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Leo Lo, Associate Dean for Learning, Undergraduate Services, and Commonwealth Campus Libraries (email@example.com)
- Rob Harris, Human Resources Strategic Partner (firstname.lastname@example.org)