To use The CAT, visit the University Libraries’ home page (libraries.psu.edu) and click on the link marked "Search the CAT." CAT Help pages: Click "Help" in the blue menu bar at the top of any CAT screen.
For an easy-print version of this information, download the PDF:
The "Quick Search" screen allows you to select from a powerful array of searches. From one screen it is possible to perform any of the main search types: keyword, browse, or exact search. This enables you to easily select the search most appropriate to your needs.
Use Quick Search when you have a basic topic in mind, and want to get results quickly. Advanced Search should be used for more complex searches. Quick Search performs three types of searches: Keyword, Browse and Exact.
- Choose Keyword to find a word or phrase anywhere.
- Choose Begins with (Browse) to search a series of words sequentially.
- Choose Exact to search an exact title, author, or subject.
To begin a quick search:
- Type the word(s) or phrase you’re looking for in the box provided. Note: You can use Connectors (AND, OR, NOT) by typing them directly into your search box.
- Select the type of search that you want to do (Keyword, Browse or Exact).
- From the dropdown menu, select the kind of search you want to do: Keywords Anywhere (Searches the entire record); Topic: Title + Subject; Author; Title; Journal Title; Series; LC Subject Heading or Medical Subject Header, or ISBN
- Select a Library to limit your search to a specific library location, if you desire. “All” will search the entire PSU Libraries collections at all locations.
- Click the Search button to begin your search. Sample Quick Search: