Main Policy Content
- Supporting Documents
The Foster Auditorium was designed foremost as a library instruction facility for large classes. Secondarily, it can be used to meet other Library needs that exceed the space in Library conference and seminar rooms or the Mann Assembly Room. Finally, it is available for co-sponsored or other university purposes, as time is available. Requests to use Foster Auditorium will be approved based on the following criteria, in priority order below:
- Library instruction sessions for students
- Library events (speakers, donor events, etc.)
- Library instruction sessions for library faculty and staff and for staff meetings too large to be accommodated in smaller rooms.
- Academic events co-sponsored by the University Libraries and other units of the university.
- Other University-related events
Requests by academic events that are not co-sponsored by the Libraries, as well as those from non-academic university units, such as student organizations and non-university organizations, should be referred to the Penn Stater, Nittany Lion Inn, or the HUB as more appropriate sites.
The Foster Auditorium is in proximity to library study areas; therefore, control of excessive noise is important. The room is not designed for performances. Foster Auditorium is intended for large groups; maximum occupancy per fire code is 140. There are 127 fixed chairs and 13 stacking chairs that can be set out as needed. A maximum of 13 chairs may be utilized, minus non-seated presenters and individuals in wheelchairs.
Food and drink are NOT permitted in the Auditorium.
- Scheduling of the Foster Auditorium will be managed in the Dean’s Office (865-0401). Requests for exceptions to these priorities should be addressed to one of the associate Deans or to the Dean of University Libraries and Scholarly Communications, with a rationale as to why an exception should be considered.
- Requests for a meeting time must be received at least forty-eight (48) hours before the event. All requests should be made through an invitation to the online calendar system. The invitation should include the following information in the Notes section of the Proposal:
- Purpose of the activity,
- Sponsoring department and how many people are expected to attend,
- University Libraries contact person to assist with arrangements
- Technology needs
- Adaptive technology needs
- An acceptance email will be sent to the contact person listed on the meeting proposal within 24 hours.
- The equipment in the auditorium includes:
- A podium with a PC
- Three projectors
- Lapel and regular microphones
- DVD players
- Document camera
- Lighting controls
If you have other technology needs, alert the library contact at least 72 hours in advance so that pre-testing of the technology can be arranged.
- Computer support is not provided on evenings and weekends. In the case of an emergency during a presentation, call the DLT Helpdesk at 863-0647.
- MediaSite Live must be arranged by the requester. The requester is responsible for the payment of fees to MTSS. To request MediaSite Live contact MTSS at 865-5400 at the time of the meeting proposal.
- Staff at the Welcome Desk will lock and unlock Foster Auditorium. They will be available to answer basic questions about the use of the podium.
- The use of Foster is only available when the Libraries is open.
Effective Date: August 2004
Date Approved: August 27, 2004 (Dean)
Revision History (and effective dates):
- February 2, 2015 – Capacity revised
- August 27, 2004 – Revised guidelines
- July 29, 2003 – Revised guidelines
- September 17, 2000 – Interim guidelines
Last Review Date: Under Review Summer 2007