Main Policy Content
- Nomination Process
- Review Committee Composition/Selection
- Tenure and Review of Designation
To state the University Libraries’ procedures for nomination and selection of Distinguished Librarians in accordance with The Pennsylvania State University Policy (AC-10) “Distinguished Professorships.”
A candidate for appointment as a Distinguished Librarian must:
- Be a current, full-time active member of the Libraries’ faculty holding the rank of Librarian.
- Not currently hold an endowed chair, professorship, or faculty fellowship.
- Be acknowledged leaders in their field of research or creative activity.
- Have demonstrated significant leadership in raising the standards of the University and the Libraries with respect to librarianship, research or creative activity, service, and teaching.
- Have demonstrated sustained excellence in librarianship.
- During the Spring (at last scheduled LFO meeting and via email) of the year that a vacancy exists for a Distinguished Librarian, the Dean will issue a call for nominations for the designation of “Distinguished Librarian.”
- Nominations must be accompanied by at least three internal letters of support, including one from the nominee’s department head.
- Individuals nominated must submit an updated curriculum vitae (in dossier format).
REVIEW COMMITTEE COMPOSITION/SELECTION:
A Distinguished Librarian Review Committee will be appointed by the Dean, on an as needed basis, and will consist of three (3) tenured members of the Libraries’ faculty holding the rank of Librarian.
- Mid to late April (at last LFO Meeting and via email) the Dean will issue a call for nominations.
- September 15, nominations, letters of support, and dossier of nominees due to the Dean. At this time, the Dean will appoint the Distinguished Librarian Review Committee.
- October 1, the Dean forwards nomination materials to the Distinguished Librarian Review Committee.
- November 1, candidates selected by the Distinguished Librarian Review Committee are forwarded to the Dean.
- November 15, candidates endorsed by the Dean are forwarded to the Office of the President.
- January 15, Distinguished Librarian appointments are announced.
TENURE AND REVIEW OF DESIGNATION:
The appointment of a Distinguished Librarian will be made for a period of five (5) years, with renewal of the appointment dependent upon the Distinguished Librarian continuing the same high level of performance evident at the time of initial appointment. The title of Distinguished Librarian may be carried until resignation or retirement from the University, subject to the review process per AC-40, or until such time as the holder may be appointed to an endowed faculty position, etc.
Effective Date: April 30, 2008
Date Approved: April 30, 2008 (Dean)
Date Approved: April 30, 2008 (Vice Provost for Academic Affairs)
Revision History (and effective dates):
- February 2018 - Categorization changed from UL-HRG to UL-ACG to reflect new PSU Academic Policy classifcation
- April 30, 2008 -- New guideline
Last Review Date: November 2009