The Harrell Health Sciences Library: Research & Learning Commons at the Penn State Hershey campus seeks a Librarian for the position of Associate Director/Coordinator for Innovative Technology Services. Reporting to the Associate Dean for Library and Information Services and Director, the incumbent will assist the Director in planning and executing the day-to-day operations and in developing a cohesive strategy for the library’s growing innovative technology services. The Health Sciences Library is predominately a digital library, located at Penn State Hershey, the medical campus for Penn State University. The library employs a matrix organizational structure to effectively manage a small but highly skilled faculty and staff. The library recently completed a multi-million dollar renovation that includes a One Button Studio and a Technology Innovation Sandbox that supports high-end computing, 3D printing, fabrication, and modeling, audio/visual editing, a video wall that supports visualization and AR/VR. The University Libraries values diversity of thought, perspective, experience and people, and is actively committed to a culture of inclusion and respect. This is a faculty position within University Libraries that may be either a renewable multi-year contract or tenure-track based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience and preference.
The Associate Director is a senior level management position whose primary responsibility is assisting the Associate Dean & Director in planning and executing the day-to-day operation of the library. Works with the director to define a vision for the future and help develop and enhance services, resources, technologies, and programs that actively position the library as a key resource within the institution. Direct reports include 3 faculty librarians and 4 professional IT staff. The Associate Director is a member of the Library Administrative Team; contributes to decisions on policies, operations, and library budget. Responsible for the overall coordination of the library’s marketing strategy. The incumbent will work closely with faculty/staff to develop a comprehensive and cohesive strategy for the library’s growing innovative technology services. Provides expertise and direction for relevant technologies used in libraries and in teaching and learning; participates in collection development activities, reference services, and the liaison program. Evaluates new and existing library programs, services and resources; compiles/contributes to statistical and other library reports. Critical skills include leadership and the ability to function effectively in a team environment; flexibility and the capacity to embrace change in a diverse, dynamic, and evolving organization; and a facility for cross-departmental communications. Contributes to the profession through librarianship, teaching & learning, service, research, and involvement in professional organizations.
- Encourages and promotes communication, collaboration, and excellent customer service throughout the library
- Oversees the daily operation of the library including coordination among library service areas and units, development and interpretation of policies and procedures, and leads faculty & staff in the development of new programs and services.
- Provides leadership and accepts and executes responsibility and accountability for the physical facility, services, collections, and staff in the director’s absence.
- Oversees assessment of user needs, evaluation of services, marketing and planning, develops a cohesive strategy and vision for the library’s growing innovative technology services in collaboration with the Director, library faculty, and professional staff
- Balances technology needs with fiscal realities; Identify library technology oriented grant opportunities
- Collaborates with campus IT on critical issues regarding the computing network, cybersecurity, and infrastructure to insure a coherent and unified approach
- Develops reports such as the annual report, strategic plan, and timelines in collaboration with the Director, library faculty, and professional staff
- Fosters a creative, team-oriented work environment including the coordination of internal committees as appropriate
- Involved in personnel management and staff development, including hiring, evaluations, and input into salary increases (merit); direct reports include 3 faculty librarians and 4 professional IT staff
- Oversees, in collaboration with the Librarian for Education & Instruction, the libraries educational/instructional programs, including workshops focused on Information Literacy, EBM, existing and emerging technologies, etc.…
- Coordinates, in partnership with the Librarian for Education & Instruction, orientation for new medical, PA, graduate and nursing students; participates in new resident orientation
- Participates as a member of the Reference Team, regularly scheduled for reference desk coverage; Participates as a member of the Collection Development Team, providing input into the identification, review, budget allocation, and selection of resources in all formats
- Contributes content to the library Web page (Drupal)
- Participates in the Library Liaison Program
- MLS/MLIS or equivalent from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Significant experience with increasing levels of responsibility including supervision of professional and paraprofessional staff.
- Aware of current trends in medical education
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging information technologies and trends
- Demonstrated record of innovation in developing and implementing new services; experience using technology to support service innovation
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative, customer service oriented, rapidly changing environment to accomplish mutual goals
- Ability to work independently and effectively across organizational lines and in collaboration with colleagues throughout the University Libraries to build strong relationships
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision making skills
- Strong management, leadership, and organizational skills with a commitment to diversity; project management skills
- Ability to contribute to the profession through librarianship, research and scholarly publications and involvement in regional or national professional organizations.
- Experience in medical library environment, experience working with health sciences faculty and/or user groups.
- Member of the Academy of Health Information Professionals
- Ability to develop and execute a marketing plan
The Penn State University Libraries are a strategic asset to Penn State, advancing intellectual discovery, information literacy, and lifelong learning, all in support of the University’s strategic goals in teaching, research, service, and outreach. The University Libraries is ranked among the top 10 research libraries in North America, according to the Association for Research Libraries investment rankings, and provides services at University Park and 22 other campus locations throughout Pennsylvania as well as online. We serve more than 6,400 faculty and 46,800 students at University Park, and approximately 97,500 students university-wide. More than 120 faculty librarians in the University Libraries benefit from extensive technological resources and research support services. Penn State, a land-grant institution, is a member of the Big Ten Academic Alliance and the Association of American Universities. The University Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Association of College and Research Libraries, and the international Center for Research Libraries.
Penn State Health/Penn State College of Medicine:
Penn State College of Medicine located at Hershey, PA confers the doctor of medicine degree and the Master of Physician Assistant Studies degree, and in conjunction with Penn State's Graduate School, offers doctor of philosophy degrees in anatomy, biochemistry, and molecular biology, bioengineering, bioinformatics and genomics, cell and molecular biology, chemical biology, genetics, immunology and infectious diseases, integrative biosciences, microbiology and immunology, molecular medicine, molecular toxicology, neuroscience, pharmacology, and physiology. The College of Medicine offers Master of Science degrees in anatomy, laboratory animal medicine, public health sciences, homeland security, neuroscience, and physiology.
The Penn State Hershey campus is located in Hershey, PA a suburban community approximately twelve miles from Harrisburg, the state capital. The fourth largest employer in Central Pennsylvania, Penn State Health and the Penn State College of Medicine provide jobs for more than 10,000+ area residents. For more information see Facts and Statistics. Hershey Foods Corporation, also headquartered in Hershey, is Central Pennsylvania's second largest industry. Hershey is within a 3 hour drive of New York, Washington D.C., and Philadelphia.
Salary and rank commensurate with experience. Excellent fringe benefits include liberal vacation, excellent insurance, state or TIAA/CREF retirement options, and educational privileges.
Applications and all supporting materials must be submitted online. To be considered for the position, interested candidates should upload a letter of application, resume or C.V., and the names and contact information of three professional references (including email addresses). Review of applications will begin October 16, 2017 and continue until position is filled. Questions may be addressed to Lindsey Harter, Faculty Search Coordinator, at email@example.com.
Employment with the University will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University policies.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to minorities, women, veterans, disabled individuals, and other protected groups.
For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please see Penn State University Police's Clery Act, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.