Access to Online Resources
The library offers a number of remote resources for our users. Our goal is to provide you with the resources, expertise, and services you need to do your work, with as little disruption as possible.
Changes to Operations
Public access to Pattee/Paterno
Pattee/Paterno will be open to the public on a reduced schedule, with access limited to the first floors of Pattee/Paterno and the ground floor of Pattee. For hours and availability at other library locations (campuses and at University Park), visit Libraries and Departments.
Reference and Assistance
Librarians and staff at all campuses are available for remote reference, consultation, and assistance. Please contact us via Ask a Librarian.
Note: The Libraries has created a poster creation guide and offers one-on-one consultations using Microsoft Bookings for students. This replaces the Designing and Creating Effective Research Posters workshop that was cancelled this spring along with other undergraduate workshops.
Renewing and Returning Materials
Due dates for semester loans have been extended through January 18, 2021. Due dates for shorter-term DVD, equipment and PALCI loans have been extended through Sept. 2, 2020. Please check My Library Account for your updated due dates.
Please return Books and Interlibrary Loan materials to any Penn State University Libraries' book return. At University Park, the Pattee/Paterno Library book return is located at the East entrance on Curtin Road. Borrowers at other campus locations should use Ask a Librarian to see how to return materials at their respective campus. Please note that all returns will be quarantined for four days before removing from your account.
Curbside pickup: Some of our collections are available with our curbside pickup service.
Media Technology and Support Services: Equipment rental through Media and Technology Support Services (MTSS) is available by reservation only, with one patron pickup scheduled every 15 minutes. Reservations require a 30 minute lead time.
Equipment returns must be made by 7:45 p.m. on the return date. To make a return, simply ring the buzzer on the front door and staff will assist you. If there is a line, use the side door, per the directional signage.
The stacks in Pattee/Paterno, University Park libraries, and the campus libraries are closed for the fall 2020 semester. Materials reserved through "I Want It" in the catalog will be retrieved by staff, and curbside pickup is also an option. Access to the stacks is restricted to on-site circulation staff only to retrieve materials for patrons.
Reserve a Seat
Students will be able to reserve a seat in any of the group study rooms for individual use, for two hours per day per person. They will be able to book their reservation seven days in advance. The Collaboration Commons has 14 study rooms and the Knowledge Commons has 8 study rooms.
All study rooms should be booked online through Reserve a Seat. During this time, we ask that students work individually to maintain social distancing practices. Please direct questions to ULemail@example.com. Welcome Desk attendants have been informed and will direct students to the link as well as provide assistance otherwise. Note that the Group Study Room adjacent to Starbucks (E128) has been re-purposed and will not be available for students to reserve at this time.
Service updates and changes, effective August 24, 2020:
- UBorrow and E-ZBorrow services are available.
- Search Bar Services are provided online via Zoom. Visit the Search Bar Services page for information and hours.
- Media Commons and Maker Commons: A multi-media specialist will be at the Service Desk in the Media / Maker Commons in the Knowledge Commons when the Pattee Paterno Library is open.
- IT Services: While lab consultants are not available in Sidewater Commons or the Knowledge Commons, help is available 24-7 through Penn State Information Technology. Call 814-865-HELP or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. Assistance via Zoom will be provided by appointment, Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday, noon - 5:00 p.m.
- Printing Services: Public printers & print release stations have been replaced at Universtiy Park library locations with PAWPrints, a cloud based, print management solution. Accounts have been created for all Penn State students, faculty, and staff. Non-Penn State users can print directly from the print stations. No account is required.
- Center for Immersive Experiences: Available by appointment only for research purposes (no classes will be assigned VR projects for the fall 2020 semester). Inquiries and requests for appointments should be directed to email@example.com.
- Virtual Reality Lab: Closed for the fall 2020 semester.
Entrances and Exits
The Central Pattee revolving door entrance/exit is closed. Patrons can enter the building through the East Entrance on Curtin Road or the West Entrance for the Collaboration Commons.
Elevators and Stairs
Elevator and stair access in Pattee/Paterno is restricted to staff only.
Our Remote Resources page lists the University Libraries’ official contacts designated for our operations and services impacted by COVID-19.