This page provides access to relevant information related to our libraries’ operations, our response to COVID-19, changes in hours, and access to online resources for remote users. Last updated June 18, 2020.
Please read the message from Dean Barbara I. Dewey regarding the University Libraries' response to the Coronavirus.
Changes to Operations
Though all University Libraries locations are closed, librarians and staff are available to help with remote consultations and assistance. Please visit our Hours and Locations page for updates. Our Ask a Librarian team has started a COVID-19 FAQ document to assist users.
Reference, consultation, and assistance
Librarians and staff at all campuses are available for remote reference, consultation, and assistance. Please contact us via Ask a Librarian or the individual Libraries’ listserv.
You can renew many library materials online by logging into My Account. You will see a list of items you have checked out and your options for renewing.
Due dates for all materials have been extended through August 13, 2020. Please do not return any library materials at this time unless absolutely necessary. Returns will not be processed and will remain on your library account until the library resumes regular operations.
If you must return materials, please return Books and Interlibrary Loan materials to any Penn State University Libraries' book return. At University Park, the Pattee/Paterno Library book return is located at the East entrance on Curtin Road. If the Library is closed when you return items, they will be backdated when we open again. Students who graduated and are not returning to campus can return materials to the Pattee/Paterno book return. Students at other campus locations should use Ask a Librarian to see how to return materials at their respective campus.
Laptops, chargers, and other equipment: Again, due dates for all of these items have been extended and these items do not need to be returned until the Libraries reopen. Please do not return these items to a book drop.
Equipment rented through Media and Technology Support Services (MTSS) during the spring semester has been renewed. MTSS staff ask that students who plan to return to campus wait to return equipment until in-person instruction resumes. Graduating students who have rented equipment may return items by mail and should contact the department for instructions at MediaTechSupport@psu.edu. The department is looking at ways to provide postage-paid mail service and will provide instructions once available.
The following services have been suspended:
- All E-ZBorrow Services
- Computer Labs in Pattee and Paterno. Please note that Penn State IT will ship laptops to students, faculty, and staff who have no other options and need access to a computer. Laptop requests should be made via the Penn State Mobile Technology form.
- Online reservations for group study rooms, at all campuses
- Media Commons and Maker Commons Services including:
- 3D Printing Lab
- One-Button Studios
- Center for Immersive Experiences
- Virtual Reality Lab in Sidewater Commons
- Visit the Media Commons website for remote services support and information.
- Student IT Lab Consultants
- The Pollock Undergraduate Center will be available but not staffed. Printers will be monitored remotely. IT staff can assist over the phone (814.865.HELP).
- The IT Service Desk located in the Knowledge Commons
- Visit the TLT Student Computing Labs website for information.
Changes to Events
Changes or cancellations to Library events will be available here. For general information, please visit our News and Events page.
Undergraduate Research Workshops
The Libraries has created a poster creation guide and will be offering one-on-one consultations using Microsoft Bookings for students, as Designing and Creating Effective Research Posters workshop (originally scheduled for April 1) was cancelled along with other workshops scheduled in March.
Resources for Remote Access to Library Materials
The library offers a number of remote resources for our users. Our goal is to provide you with the resources, expertise, and services you need to do your work, with as little disruption as possible.
Libraries Contact Information
- Subject experts
- Ask a Librarian
- Physical Materials/Access Services
- Library Learning Services
- Research, Data, and Analytics Support
- Libraries Administration