The University Libraries provide leadership in the promotion of critical thinking, supporting curricular and lifelong learning at all academic levels. We teach students, faculty, staff, and community members how to discover, evaluate, engage, organize and create information. We deliver integrated, innovative instruction in resident and online classes, via online learning objects, and through one-on-one interactions. We promote and support flexible modes of learning, responding to shifts toward active learning in higher education and anticipating rapid growth of Penn State’s online education program.
The Libraries will expand our role as a partner in online and resident education, increasing our capacity to develop and support engaged, critical, and informed learners through multiple forms of instruction.
- Strengthen partnerships with teaching faculty, instructional designers and others to integrate library instruction and related critical thinking competencies into the curriculum.
- Collaborate across library units for efficient, effective delivery of online library instruction.
- Support excellence in teaching through professional development for library instructors that enhances our skills and contributions as teachers.
The Libraries will develop active and immersive learning environments that support and facilitate learning in all disciplines.
- Explore emerging educational technologies that can be leveraged to enhance learning in all environments.
- Partner with academic departments to develop physical and virtual spaces that correspond with learning related to curricular and research needs.