Penn State Media & Technology Support Services (MediaTech) is a unit of the University Libraries established to provide a central depository and distribution point for instructional media (films, audiocassettes, videocassettes, digital video discs, slide sets, etc.) and related services such as the purchase, delivery, operation, repair, and installation of equipment. The service is intended for all functions of the University, instruction, research, and continuing education/public. Services are provided as follows, subject to the availability of the item requested:
Equipment and Services
- MediaTech houses, circulates, and maintains a pool of equipment to support academic credit instruction of all colleges at the University Park Campus.
- Academic instruction is defined as a specific course or other unit of instruction that is officially recognized by the college and presented for credit. The name of the course and the college sponsoring the course are required at the time of the request.
- Use of equipment and operator services will be provided at no cost subject only to the availability of the requested item(s) at the request of the faculty member in charge of the instruction.
- Noncredit courses, including conferences, workshops, seminars, inservice training training, and other informational programs will be charged for equipment based on the approved schedule of charges.
Academic and Special Educational Activities
- It is recognized that some academic and educational programs conducted for University students, but which do not carry academic credit, may qualify for full instructional service.
- Anyone requesting this special service status should forward a request in writing to the director, MediaTech, who will make a decision regarding the request promptly and will notify all interested parties.
- Research is defined as all research activities, whether funded by the University, by the State, by Federal, or outside grants and contracts.
- The Cost of equipment and services should be included in research proposals. Use of equipment and services will be provided according to the approved schedule of charges on the request of the director of the research project. The name of the project, academic unit, and location are required for record-keeping purposes. These charges may be waived under special circumstances involving University- or state-funded research. A faculty member seeking such a waiver should present the request in writing to the director, MediaTech, who will review the request and respond in a prompt manner.
- For student organizations approved by the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, equipment and operator services are provided according to the approved schedule of charges. The name of the activity and organization are required at the time of the request for record-keeping purposes.
- Equipment and operator services will be provided to nonacademic departments of the University, other organizations, or individuals using facilities at the approved schedule of charges subject to the approval of the director, MediaTech.
- Repair services and installation services will be provided to other colleges and departments of the University at the approved schedule of charges, subject to the approval of the director, MediaTech.
- Basic training in the operation of audiovisual equipment will be provided to faculty, staff, and students at no charge.
Replacement of Lost or Stolen Equipment
- If an item is lost or stolen while in the possession of the user, an invoice in the amount of the amortized cost of the item will be issued to the using person, department, or organization.
Approved Schedule of Charges
- A schedule of charges is developed by MediaTech and approved by the comptroller of the University. This approved schedule of charges is used in determining costs for using equipment or materials provided by MediaTech.