Browse the Collection
- Annual Report of Mines: 1870-1979
- PAGS Progress Reports and Bulletins
- Historic Statistics of Pennsylvania's Mineral Industries
About the Collection
The Pennsylvania Mining Resources collection contains lists and links to publications related to the mineral resources and mining history of Pennsylvania. Items include materials from the Pennsylvania Geological Survey, the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, and other sources. For additional information on this topic, consult the Pennsylvania Mining and Mineral Resources guide.
Annual Report of Mines: 1870-1979
Published since the 1870's this report contains production statistics, mine names, locations, owner information, and accident statistics. Prior to the mid-1880's the reports for anthracite and bituminous coal were produced by separate agencies, therefore early reports for bituminous coal are available as part III "Industrial Statistics" of the Annual Report of the Bureau of Statistics of Pennsylvania, later the Annual Report of the Secretary of Internal Affairs of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Industrial minerals were included in these reports beginning with 1973.
This title changed many times over the years. The titles are as follows-
- 1870s-1930s: Report of the Department of Mines of Pennsylvania
- 1931-1968: Annual Report. PA Anthracite Division
- 1931-1955: Annual Report. PA Bituminous Coal Division
- 1969-1978: Annual report on mining, oil and gas, and land reclamation and conservation activities
- 1979-Present: Annual Report on Mining Activities
PAGS Progress Reports and Bulletins
These are progress reports published by the Pennsylvania Geological Survey. Progress reports include annual publications on the status of the state’s oil and gas industry from 1950 through 1991, as well as brief technical reports on economic resources and various other topics.